Falcons Recruit School Sport Apprentices
Run in conjunction with learning provider InnovEd, the scheme is a Level 2 Apprenticeship qualification with multiple parts running across the Newcastle, North Tyneside, Stockton and Durham areas.
Specifically designed to be flexible around the schools involved, the programme comprises of an average of one day a week of academic training, and four days a week of on the job learning in a school.
Running over 12 months from October 2015 apprentices will be employed under their employing school’s HR terms, providing even greater flexibility in specifying what the school needs from their sports apprentice.
The club is now recruiting schools to become involved with the second cohort of the programme, with job adverts to be published via the National Apprenticeship Service website once apprenticeship positions are finalised. The website can be found [here].
Read on to find out more about the programme and why you should get involved.
**Why would a school take on an apprentice?**
– It’s a cost effective way of bringing in a well-trained member of staff who has developed within the school environment
– It increases capacity for your school to deliver specialist PE and games sessions
– The school will be supporting the continued development of a young person, assisting them in their career development and providing an environment in which they can blossom
– You will be doing your bit to help develop a skilled workforce for the future
– You are helping to provide a unique learning environment for an apprentice with career aspirations in teaching
– The scheme provides a number of great PR opportunities for the school
As a result of their involvement in the programme, our employer schools have reported a number of benefits, including:
– Improvements to school performance
– Improvements to their provision to students
– An enhanced reputation for the school
The Apprenticeship Framework comprises a package of training programmes. A Level 2 apprentice working as a school apprentice would typically have the following training packages:
– Level 2 award in Employment Awareness (ERR)
– Competency – NVQ Level 2 Activity Leadership
– Knowledge – Certificate in Supporting Learning in PE and School Sport
– Functional Skills – English and Maths (Level 1)
The majority of learning is “on the job” with a teacher acting as a mentor. The external involvement for the Apprentice is;
– Attend 40 tutor days at a central venue, across the year.
– Ring in to conference calls every two weeks.
– Have monthly assessment / mentoring visits in the workplace.
– Complete three folders.
If you are interested in taking on an apprentice, or have any further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0191 214 2866.
Alternatively for more information on the Falcons’ School Sports Apprenticeships programme click [here].