posted: Tue October 10th 2023 Salary: £25,000 Hours: Fixed term (2.5 days per week)
Salary & Benefits: £25,000 Pro Rata
Hours Required: Fixed Term until 30 June 2024 – 2.5 days per week on training days (may include evenings and weekends)
Reporting to: Head of Athletic Performance
Based at: Kingston Park Stadium, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE13 8AF
We are Newcastle Falcons one of the Premiership rugby teams. We are setting our sights on a new, exciting future and are looking for a Sports Scientist who is well organised, versatile, and motivated to join our team.
An exciting new role has been identified to work with Newcastle Falcons first team supporting the performance department as a sports scientist to lead on the collection and dissemination of data in regards the instrumented mouthguard project in conjunction with RFU. The role is a pro rata fixed term contract running until 30th June 2024. It will require you to work within the club for two and a half days per week.
You will lead in the collection and integration of data within the instrumented mouthguard project in conjunction with the RFU and Newcastle Falcons requirements. You will be expected to produce reports for the Medical and Performance teams following training and games whilst also assisting with the collection of other types of data for welfare and performance needs as appropriate.
Your role will include ensuring data is captured, processed, and disseminated to relevant staff members in addition to contributing to data collection for studies being led by World Rugby, England Rugby and Premiership Rugby. Subsequently, you will continue to deliver and develop the data integration and reports within the Club and to the RFU.
The successful individual will be expected to work with club practitioners to develop and manage data in addition to formatting and developing appropriate reports. You will be expected to work collaboratively with the Head of Medical and Head of Performance, to ensure that performance and monitoring data being collected is providing valuable information and is reported in a timely and comprehensible manner.
- Responsible for aligning and integrating collision monitoring, video, GPS and performance monitoring data sets for all field-based training sessions and matches during the season.
- Responsible for reporting and visualising integrated datasets for each training session / match to provide insight to a variety of stakeholders.
- Responsible for updating and maintaining a structured database for all relevant data sources.
- Responsible for supporting the RFU and Premiership Rugby research project
As this is a new role the everyday duties may adapt as the role evolves through the process, but this will be agreed collaboratively.
- Medical and Performance Staff
- Contacts from England Rugby, Premiership Rugby, Leeds Beckett University and University of Bath
- Undergraduate degree in Sports Science, Performance analysis, Data Analysis, or related discipline
- MSc in Sports Science, Performance Analysis, or related discipline/experience (or working towards)
- High attention to detail
- Able to work in a timely manner and meet strict deadlines.
- Able to maintain the highest regard for confidentiality with sensitive information
- Ability to work independently.
- Competent using Excel.
- Experience of using business intelligence tools such as Tableau and/or Power BI
- Experience of working within Rugby or a high-performance environment
- Experience working as a Sports Scientist or Performance/Data Analyst in a professional sport environment.
- Comfortable in a team environment and motivated to work independently.
- Newcastle Falcons, Thunder and Foundation take safeguarding very seriously and is committed to ensuring that all children and adults at risk are safeguarded at all times when engaging in club activities or services. The club has numerous safeguarding policies and best practice guidelines to support this and expects all employees to adopt such policies and practices at all times.
- The club adheres to strict guidelines, policies and procedures when recruiting staff who work with children and/or adults at risk and is committed to ensuring staff receive appropriate safeguarding training suitable to their role/s. Successful applicants are expected to share the club’s approach to safeguarding at all times.
- The post holder’s duties must be carried out in compliance with the Club’s Equal Opportunities Policy, with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and subsequent Health and Safety Legislation.
- Newcastle Falcons, Thunder and Foundation are an equal opportunities employer, all applicants for employment will be given equal opportunities irrespective of sex, age, race, religion or belief, marriage or civil partnership, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, pregnancy or maternity, ethnic or national origin.
- These duties and responsibilities should be regarded as neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other reasonably determined duties and responsibilities within Newcastle Falcons, commensurate with the post without changing the character of the post. This post requires an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS). This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974). Information on all convictions including spent convictions must be declared, in line with the new Government Filtering System.
If you wish to see our Candidate Privacy Notice click here.
Employment is subject to: satisfactory professional references, the provision of proof of eligibility to work in the UK as well as a successfully cleared enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check and clearance of RFU safer recruitment procedure.
Please apply with a CV and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will accept no more applications after midnight on Friday 20th October 2023.