Vacancy – Head academy S&C coach
The successful candidate will join a dynamic and forward-thinking team with a proven track record of producing professional rugby players for the Newcastle Falcons first team squad.
Based at Kingston Park Stadium in Newcastle upon Tyne, the role will involve working closely with the senior academy players to aid them in their pursuit of excellence whilst overseeing all aspects of the junior academy to ensure young players on the talent pathway are maximising their physical potential.
*Title: Head academy strength and conditioning coach.*
*Reports to: Academy manager.*
*Remuneration: Dependant on experience.*
*Start date: May 2021.*
**Purpose of role:**
To plan, deliver and review all aspects of physical development within the academy, with a focus on individual player development.
* Lead and manage all physical development components of the academy in line with club directives, working in conjunction with other members of staff and taking a lead role in the development of senior academy players.
* Attend all academy training sessions and A-Team fixtures, providing warm-ups to all field-based sessions and matches in conjunction with other staff.
* Plan, deliver and review bespoke physical development programmes for each player in the senior academy tailored to their development needs, visiting off site where appropriate and providing regular feedback to players.
* Update coaches weekly on individual player progress, communicating with international age group staff and liaising with dual-registered club and university staff where appropriate.
* Oversee the junior academy programme and support delivery to ensure that the physical development pathway is robust and staff have the support they need to complete their jobs effectively.
* Ensure that all RFU/PRL audit requirements are completed on time and that all PGB minimum standards are met across the board.
* Provide nutritional support and lifestyle guidance to academy players to ensure they are maximising their physical potential as elite athletes.
* Provide advice and guidance to the associate academy at training sessions, educating players where appropriate on strength and conditioning, nutrition and lifestyle.
* Liaise with the head academy physiotherapist to devise and deliver injured players’ rehabilitation programmes each week to academy players.
* Manage and maintain up-to-date records of all senior academy players and junior academy EAPs; including daily screening, training loads, playing times and measuring player progress over time through comparable testing protocols.
**The successful candidate must have:**
* At least two years of experience working in a rugby environment and a very good understanding of elite sports pathways, youth development and physiology.
* Appropriate professional qualifications including a degree in the relevant field and UKSCA accreditation (or equivalent).
* Flexibility to work unsociable hours, including evenings and weekends.
* Good organisational skills and the ability to work both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
* Initiative, adaptability and efficiency in finding ways to challenge and stimulate players in their pursuit of excellence.
* Enhanced DBS clearance and a full driving licence with access to a car / transport.
**Key performance indicators:**
* Effectiveness of coaching interventions provided to academy players.
* Evidence of progress made by all players towards fulfilling their physical potential.
* Development of sustainable practices across the academy.
* Adherence to all RFU / PRL regulations to maintain the academy licence.
* Feedback from players and stakeholders on the quality of service provided.
To apply, please send an up-to-date CV showing your experience and qualifications, and a one-page cover letter explaining what your coaching philosophy is and why you are a suitable candidate for the role.
All applications should be emailed to: email@example.com .
The closing date for applications is Friday March 26, 2021.
Interviews will take place in the week beginning Monday April 5, 2021.