Match Report

- - 19

Newcastle Falcons - 0

Sunday 01st Nov 2015

A desperate first half left the Falcons trailing 31-3, Exeter claiming the four try bonus point inside 34 minutes as Newcastle struggled to cope with their physicality.

The home side held the early lead for less than a minute as Mike Delany’s 40 metre penalty had them three up after the Chiefs failed to roll away from the tackle.

But right from the re-start the Kiwi’s clearance kick was charged down, former Falcon Will Chudley diving on the loose ball for the simplest of tries.

The pain quickly got worse for the Falcons when flanker Julian Salvi used a rolling maul in the left corner as a launchpad for a try, the visitors having kicked for touch when given a penalty within striking distance.

Tom Penny’s defensive contribution was one plus for a Newcastle side struggling for a lifeline, but Don Armand crossed for Exeter’s third on the quarter mark when another penalty was kicked into touch for a telling line-out.

Armand barged his way over from a ruck on the home try line, Newcastle finally earning a period of attacking pressure of their own when Delany booted a pair of penalties into touch.

The Falcons failed to make it count on the scoreboard against a highly-organised Chiefs outfit, Exeter countering for the four-try bonus point on 34 minutes when a box kick was returned 60 metres for a try in the right corner.

Matt Jess was the man to dot it down on his 100th Premiership appearance, Armand’s second-try twisting the knife as the No 8 rounded off a two-on-one for a 28 point interval lead.

The Falcons began the second half strongly with a much more direct running game, keeping the ball in hand rather than feeding the Chiefs’ counter-attacking unit.

Giamba Venditti, Ally Hogg and Alex Tait combined for a well-worked break down the left, Dean Richards turning to his bench with six substitutions on the 48 minute mark.

The Director of Rugby changed his entire front row as well as introducing Josh Furno, Ruki Tipuna and Belisario Agulla, the latter denied a try five minutes into his debut as the television match official ruled a knock on in the build-up.

That was after Venditti’s run, Hammersley’s support, Will Welch’s wide pass and Tait’s run down the right wing had created the opportunity for the Argentine, who looked a lively attacking presence.

Tom Catterick’s addition at fly half added to Newcastle’s running threat, Venditti coming in from his wing and looking for working as his team tried some more imaginative running lines against a wall of white.

Agulla’s enthusiastic defensive efforts forced a turnover inside his own 22 as Furno’s blitz forced hurried decisions from Exeter’s receivers, the former Agen man racing up the other end to put Ally Hogg away in a run which almost delivered a try.

The visitors made a rare second half foray into the Falcons’ 22 count on 68 minutes when a penalty kicked to the corner saw play worked infield from the lineout. Scottish prop Moray Low was the man to profit, burrowing his way over for his side’s sixth try from the fringes of a ruck.

Venditti thought he had finally got Newcastle on the try sheet when he crossed down the left hand side, referee Ian Tempest chalking off his try for a forward pass.

But the Chiefs had the final say on the scoreboard when Steenson chipped over a simple penalty from the very last play, drawing a line under a disappointing day for the Falcons.

Attendance: 5,160.