Saturday 02 August 2014 Written by: Adam

Newcastle Falcons made it two wins from two games in Premiership Rugby 7s Group D after a impressive and controlled performance against Sale Sharks.

Building on their earlier win against Leicester Tigers, the Falcons ran in five tries to notch up their second bonus point of the evening and put themselves within touching distance of winning the group stages of the tournament for a fourth time.

It was Sale that made the early impression on the match and almost grabbed the first try through Tahir El Mahdi, only for Tom Catterick to thwart his plans.

After weathering that initial attack, the Falcons asserted themselves on the game, with the first try coming on two minutes through Simon Hammersley, following excellent work by
Dann Temm, drawing the defence and creating an overlap.

Back on the attack, the Falcons had doubled the lead a minute later through a Lee Smith score following a quick penalty five meters out after Sale came into a breakdown from the side.

Sale did launch an attack in the closing stages of the half and a clever chip through attempted to exploit space behind the Falcons defensive line. Catterick though, who had been everywhere throughout the half, was on hand to nullify the threat.

Following the restart, the Falcons were out to regain the advantage and within two minutes, were up to a 15 – 0 lead thanks to a try from Ben Morris but Sale were able to hit back following a Falcons infringement on their own five meter line.

With only two minutes remaining, the game looked like it would finish up with those scores, however, wanting to put on a show in their “home” event, two quick tries ensured the bonus point was secured in style.

First, newcomer Brian Tuilagi got his name on the score sheet following a searing break from captain fantastic Catterick before a superb solo effort from Chris Harris after time was up sealed the game.

London Welsh are the final challenge of the evening, with the match scheduled for 21:30